Based on budget and preference there are multiple accomodation types available in The Maldives. Even if you travel to Maldives for the scenery, underwater sealife or looking to relax on the beach there is a good option for you.
Guest houses or hotels on local islands:
The cheapest is to stay at a guest house. The hotels on local islands also are a budget option with some better amenities.
These are a great opportunity to experience the local culture but is difficult to join activities like scuba diving as you need to find a dive center in the area and arrange transfer.
Keep in mind that The Maldives is a muslim country and alcohol is prohibited on the local islands. Also it is expected to cover your body (shoulders and thighs) while outdoor so you cannot fully enjoy the beach experience. There are some local islands with designated beaches were you can sunbathe but you need to research for your destination.
You will need to find transfer from the airport as most of the hosts cannot provide transfer.
For those whom diving is the goal for the trip and want to explore more of The Maldives, taking a liveaboard is the best option. There are options to dive in various Maldives Atolls like South / North Ari and Male.
The popular choice for the Maldives is to stay in an island resort. This is the easiest option as they can provide transfer and all inclusive experience.
Mainly the Maldives resorts can be classified as:
- Island with blue lagoon around the island and no house reef. This is recommended only if you plan to spend most of your vacation out of the water.
- Island surrounded by coral reef. This is recommended for snorkeling and scuba diving fans – having the house reef just one step away is the best option.
- Island resort with both house reef and blue lagoon can be enjoyed by everybody as water activities and scenic views are both available.
I have stayed at Eriyadu Island Resort that is placed on a small island in North Male Atoll, only 1 hour away from the Airport. On site there is a PADI Five Star Dive Center – Euro-Divers Maldives for scuba divers.
I would recommend this for the following reasons:
- The island is natural and the vegetation is pristine;
- Transfer from airport is arranged by fast boat and it takes less than 1 hour;
- The house reef is large with various sealife;
- The rooms are moderately priced compared with the Maldives pricing.
Considering that you are limited to the restaurants on your island it is important to ensure that your hotel is providing good enough options.
The all inclusive in Eriyadu is excellent, the variety is good enough, the meals are plenty and tasty. You can find various dishes (veggie, chicken, beef, fish) and desserts (icecream , sweets).
Find more details about The Maldives in this post.