The island of Bali has a lot to offer to tourists and choosing accommodation should be done based on the desired experience.
- Ubud is the place to go for the ones looking for tranquility, relaxation and rich culture;
- South Bali (Kuta, Legian , etc) is preferred for parties, surfing and beaches;
- North East (Amed, Tulamben) is a good option for snorkeling and diving.
Not sure what to do in Bali ? Check our guide for top things to do.
Even that most of the attractions can be reached by day-trip, break your vacation in multiple locations is a great option to explore more.
Stay in Ubud
Ubud is the perfect option to explore central Bali and to immerse into the local culture. We recommend an own villa in a secluded area with forest or rice paddies around. These type of villas provide luxury amenities with the best opportunity to feel the real Ubud. It is common and very enjoyable to have an accommodation with outdoor bathroom.
For day-trips it is very easy to charter a car and driver for 40-60 $/day. Some hotels provide transfer to downtown Ubud on a schedule basis but if this is not available for you hotel you can easily ride a taxi/rideshare.
Accomodation is available for every budget :
- Luxury Hotels – multiple international brands are present in Ubud with themed hotels or resorts. A room is priced upwards 300$/night;
- Boutique Hotels – best price/quality report with beautiful hotels or villas that provide all the needed amenities and very nice locations. A room is priced 100-200$/night;
- Cheap Hotels or Homestays – good quality for the budget-conscious travelers. A room can be find for as low as 20$/night.
Restaurants in Ubud are varied with plenty options for traditional food. Balinese cuisine (mix of Indonesian, Chinese and Indian) is well represented and even cooking classes are available.
Stay in South Bali
Kuta, Legian and Seminyak are a great option for crowds looking for nightlife and beach resorts as the area is packed with shops, clubs, bars and restaurants. Jl. Raya Legian street runs across all the 3 cities and is the main area for party .
Surf fans find in Bali excellent conditions as the waves are strong and water is warm. South Bali is a popular destination for water sports.
Nusa Dua is the resort area popular for families and is a good option as the hotels are children-friendly. Jimbaran is good for couples an newly-weds as the hotels provide honeymoon packages.
Hotel prices are similar with Ubud but with less options in the high end.
Restaurants in South Bali cover all the cousines (Australian, Italian, BBQ, Greek, French, Asian, Chinese, Indonesian, etc) so finding a place to eat is easy.
Stay in North East Bali
Amed and Tulamben area popular for tourists looking for scuba diving and snorkeling. This region hosts some of the best marine life in Bali and is home for the famous USAT Liberty Wreck. Read more about diving and snorkeling in Tulamben. If diving or snorkeling is your main activity for the trip you will also find a lot of Dive Centers and Dive Resorts.
Another highlight represents the black sand beaches – the result of eruptions from Mount Agung, Bali’s highest volcano.
The area is becoming more and more popular even that traditional tourists reach Ubud or South Bali. The hotels available are in the mid-range with very good prices : 30-200$/night.
You will not find the same variety of restaurants as in other areas but the food is good in general with a special mention for the seafood.
My stay in Bali:
I split my vacation between Ubud and Legian as we wanted to explore the best of the two worlds. I would stronlgy recommend to tour at least two regions as Bali has more to offer than a regular holiday.
- Adiwana Arya Villas – we spent 5 nights in this beautiful villas in Ubud.
- Sol House Bali Legian – we spent 6 nights in this excellent value hotel with great location in Legian.